Given our map of the ‘New Lands’ is not a geographical description, but rather a diagram image the new Utopians will be able to point toward and understand their position in the socioeconomic background is not one of a ‘place’ but rather of the bureaucratic framework of current ‘techno-giants’ and consumers. The following analysis aims to chart the growth of major players such as Amazon, Google and Walmart as well as their social influence in the way people work, live and perceive their standards of life and one another. From 1997 to 2007, Amazon’s market price has surged 42 530% this is a result of the proliferation of technology into the the home and into the individual’s hands as well as capital devoted toward mass transportation and warehouses. From June 2016 to June 2017 Amazon created over 113 000, the State of New York created appox. 146 000 evident the conglomerant has a huge power in people’s quality of lives. Work conditions = absymal, ‘regulated’
Phase 1 (pre intervention ) –
- Modern capitalist nation
- The West’s current realization of Capitalism, that has been projected and posed as a model for most global societies concerned with ‘development,’ rests on the premise of vast wealth inequality. This wealth inequality is driven by the incentive of the bourgeoisie classes to produce, in the subjugated classes, lifestyles accustom to indefinite consumption. Thus the fundamental unit of society has been transformed from individuals, families, communes or societies into consumers. The consumer is alienated from their network. The problem of this capitalism is further complicated by the ideological nature of this subjugation.
Phase 2 ( implementation of the plan, the intervention )-
- we are targetting specific heads of institutions who perpetuate the above stated issues. By subverting their power, agency in decision making (not having to participate in capitalist economy) will be redistributed to those previously subject
- Brainwash the “fat cats” of the society , for example Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos
- Takeover big companies, Walmart. In attempt to end production and industry
- it must be a universal change in not only the functions of our way of life but also a change in our mindsets of what it means to live in a network of humans. “Idealism and the modernist idea of ‘constant progression’ dominated the 19th and 20th century, nourishing the fabrication of countless Utopias in culture” many “sub-utopias” have existed within the confines of a predetermined capitalist society. We are past the point of utopia allowing utopia to be an external society it will instead be a militant takeover of society. The cruelties of capitalism cannot be done away with by getting rid of all production and dispersal of the companies, but instead by redistributing the power/ management/ labor/ money within them.
- The brainwashed rich and powerful people will, in turn, reframe their business and their advertisement/marketing in a manner that someway, somehow eliminates “isms” and makes everyone happy
- The rhythm of life we invision is an inversion of that which already exists. In a society where higher education and trade schools are equally accessible, the focus of life would shift from
- Work in our society seems to fill two roles. For those without resources, work is a matter of necessity. Form follows function as earning money takes priority to feed oneself and ones family. For those with a wider range of opportunities, work fills the role of identity as exemplified by the customary question, “what do you do?” inquired upon making someones acquaintance. The Puritan ethics which continue to permeate through the virtues upheld by all god-fearing Americans are that we live to work and work to escape the clutches of idleness. Our downtime is occupied by familial obligations, ingestion of the food which is most accesible, and consumption of media.
- If all trades are made accessible on a societal level, then work in our society would be met with an eager willingness to participate, as the citizens are not financially dependent on it. This is a subversion of the existing structure surrounding work in that it no longer provides income, and is a universal identifier, for a persons job becomes the field of knowledge which they desire to engage in the most. While it would still cause some irritation to have to wake up and be in a specific place at a specific time, the work week ideally becomes a point of arousal, in place of despondency.
- Infrastructure would allow public transportation to be the most convenient option for individuals to travel where they please, though personal cars would also be used at times. That is to say, people would take the bus home from work more often than not.
- Outside of work, meals would be held communally by those who have chosen to be cooks, unless an individual prefers to cook for themselves. The rest of their day may be spent as they wish. Media would be produced with the assumption that the audience is capable of engaging with nuanced thought in place of solely narrative based film-production which is primarily disseminated, in conjunction with social media platforms which employ algorithms to push puppy videos to the top of your feed and make social-organizing information difficult to stumble upon.